Telemedicine technology can be used to inform, diagnose, and treat patients at a distance. Examples include:
- Videoconference or store-and-forward referral
- Tumor boards and grand rounds
- Audiology and speech pathology rehabilitation
- Hearing loss consultation
- Teleproctored (overseeing surgical procedures) and telementored (surgical instruction) surgery
1. Fried MP: The challenges and potential of otolaryngological telemedicine. Arch Otololaryngol Head Neck Surg 127:336, 2001.
2. Holtel MR, Burgess LP: Telemedicine in otolaryngology. Otolaryngol Clin North Am 35:1263-1281, 2002.